iTwin SecureBox: Your Key to Secure Cloud Storage
by Mike Richard | January, 2013
If cloud storage and computing were commonplace last year, they’re absolutely ubiquitous now. From Google Drive, to Dropbox, to Microsoft’s SkyDrive, there’s almost no reason to store your files locally anymore.
But what about the security of these online fileboxes? Sure, you might expect that the big players in this space – Google + Microsoft to be sure – have taken steps to ensure that their systems aren’t easily hackable. But for those who want hardcore digital security, iTwin has just released a new version of the iTwin Connect with a brand new feature called SecureBox.
In short, the iTwin pitches the SecureBox as “your key to secure cloud storage.”
- Drag & Drop Simplicity: iTwin SecureBox automatically encrypts files dragged into the SecureBox folder and seamlessly integrates with Dropbox, requiring no extra steps.
- Plug & Play Operation: Plugging iTwin into a computer automatically decrypts and presents the files that had been encrypted using iTwin SecureBox.
- 2-Factor Authentication: Hardware key plus an optional password.
- Hardware-Based Security: AES 256-bit encryption, in AES-GCM* mode, with the encryption-keys residing only on the iTwin devices. The encrypted files will appear as gibberish to anyone who does not have the physical iTwin device that was used to encrypt. Even the filenames are obfuscated.
- Access blocked or geo-restricted sites and services from anywhere.
- Instantly setup your own personal VPN for full bi-directional network access.
- Browse privately and securely from untrusted networks.
- Enjoy unlimited usage with one time cost. No monthly subscription fees!
- 30-day return policy
The Traveler’s Take
As huge proponents of Dropbox, it’s perhaps no surprise that we loved the iTwin last year and we love it even more now. In practice, SecureBox’s integration with Dropbox is completely seamless. You’ll continue using your Dropbox as before, but the simple added step of plugging in this USB “key” ensures all of your cloud files are secure. Think of it as the physical “key” to your digital “lockbox”.
One of the biggest worries for modern travelers is hardware theft of their mobile devices. Imagine your laptop decides to take a walk with a stranger, never to be seen again. If it’s password protected, great. But software-based security like a password can be cracked with time and persistence. The SecureBox is instead a hardware solution – a bad ass one with 256-bit military grade encryption.
And for that reason, we highly recommend it.
Pricing & Availability
Available now directly from iTwin for $129 (USD).
Love great gear and great clothes? Dress the part at Trunk Club Men's Outfitters (aff)
Disclosure: Vagabondish.com received one iTwin sample unit in advance of this review.
You Might Also Like
About the Author
Vagabondish founding editor, Mike Richard, is a Rhode Island native, professional web designer and travel junkie with an unhealthy addiction to backpacking, hiking and seeing the world. He enjoys knit hats, small, declarative sentences and speaking in the third person. His professional credits include "Woman's World magazine contributor" and having once been interviewed by Tyra Banks (seriously).